What do I need to know if I would like to apply for a green card?

I`m German and I`m in the German Air Force stationed in New Mexico. I already have a NATO Visa. My NATO Visa is valid for another 12 months. I have been married to a U.S. citizen for 3 years. I get out of the military at the end of this year. We would like to stay for good in the states. What`s the easiest and cheapest way to become a permanent resident? How much are the lawyer charges and fees? What kind of paperwork do I need? How long does it take?

Asked on January 8, 2013 under Immigration Law, New Mexico


Gene Meltser, Esq. / BIRG & MELTSER

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

We need to file a family petition for you, as well as adjustment of status application. The whole process takes about 3 to 4 months and the immigration filing fees are $1490. Legal fees are negotiable with the attorney. I suggest you file sooner rather than later, before your NATO visa expires.  We would be glad to help. Please feel free to contact me directly at [email protected] to discuss details

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.