I would like a third party do handle a couple matters upon my death, how will they know when I die ?

I would like for a third party to handle a couple of notifications upon my death, and in one case, deliver the claim form and death certificate to a beneficiary. Assuming that is possible, how will this person know when I am deceased ? My family will not do these things or notify anyone.

Asked on September 6, 2017 under Estate Planning, Wisconsin


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

To give this person or party the legal authority to do things after your death, like get the death certificate or handle funeral arrangements, you have to have a will and make this person or party your executor. That is straightforward, but necessary; without being executor, they will have no legal right to, for example, request or get copies of the death certificate. But since anyone can be named executor, if you do make a will and make them executor, they can do whatever you want.
As to how they will know you have passed away: there is no court-based mechanism for this, but there are common sense things you can do:
1) Ask coworkers, neighbors, or friends--those most likely to become aware of your passing--to notify this person.
2) See if you can let your doctor's office know to notify them.
3) Carry a card in your wallet stating that in case of death, to notify that person or party.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.