I would just like to know If I need to speak to a lawyer about a criminal mischief charge?

I got in an argument with the manager at a bowling alley and I am charged with criminal mischief 2nd and when I was arrested they wouldn’t even tell me what I supposedly caused damage to. I later found out that the door broke when i stormed out of the building. When I expected it to be harder than what it was and it flew open but I did not know that there was any damage done to it and it was purely an accident. Also, the door can not cost more than $500. They first charged me with 3rd degree but then right before I bonded out, changed it to 2nd degree. So Im not sure if they are trying to say I caused damage to something else or not, no one would really tell me anything. Also, I’m 21 years old and this is my first time ever being in trouble. I just don’t know what I should do because I feel like I was wrongfully charged. Should I speak with a criminal law attorney? In Mobile AL.

Asked on September 1, 2011 under Criminal Law, Alabama


J.V., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Good afternoon

Thanks for posting on our site and I hope to help point you in the right direction. To get right to the point, yes I would strongly urge you hire an attorney. You will want to present the court with your financials if you believe you qualify for an attorney free of charge. But either way the best advise is for you to have representation. Based on the facts as stated there was no intent which is good but without knowing more I cannot speak as to why the charge would change from 3rd to 2nd degree.

You have a right to know what the charges against you are and if no one is working with you this is one of many reasons you need an attorney watching out for your best interests. you can ask for a copy of the police report, you have a legal right to that. you also have a right to see the complaint filed against you. I would suggest requesting these documents and then getting an attorney.

Good luck

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.