What to do if I worked over the summer for a franchisee owner but she has not paid me and is now blocking my calls?

Asked on September 22, 2015 under Employment Labor Law, Georgia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You can sue her--that's how you get money from people who owe you money and refuse to pay it. If you did the work and were not paid, you should have a strong case there are few if any defenses to not paying an employee for work he or she did. Even if there were performance issues, for example, they have to pay you for the work you did--they could fire you for bad performance, but you'd have to be paid up through the firing date. If the amount you owe is less than the limit for your small claims court, a good option is to sue in small claims court, acting as your own attorney "pro se", to save on legal fees. The franchise owner cannot ignore court process if you sue her--or rather, if she does ignore it, you will win by default. If the franchise were an LLC or corporation, as it likely was, you'd sue the business itself if it was a sole proprietorship, you sue the owner personally.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.