What are my options if I worked for a restaurant about 3 weeks ago but stopped because all of my tips checks were being bounced?

I have 3 now still in my hands, plus I’m owed another check which has still never been given to me. I have had multiple attempts at calling him but always ending up with that he doesn’t have it or maybe next week. It’s been over 4 months. I called the Labor Board but was told that I was better off going to small claims court. Yet I feel a little silly spending more money when I haven’t recieved money in such a long time.

Asked on June 4, 2014 under Employment Labor Law, Colorado


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

The labor board was correct: the way you recover money which another owes you, such as giving you checks which bounce or not paying you at all, is by suing them. If it's not worth it economically to sue (though the cost of being your own attorney in small claims court is very low--usually around  $30) or you don't want to sue your employer for other reasons, you don't really have any other recourse. The best thing to do, though, is to look for another job--one that does not involve an employer who cheats you and/or is so insolvent that it's checks bounce and it can't pay you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.