What can I do if I was retaliated against at work and it resulted in my termination?

I worked for a company that required us to report to the office every morning at a set time so we could travel in a company van to the worksite. I was not paid for the travel time. I was traveling 2 hours a day on my own time. I know there is a state code about that but I can’t find it. I confronted the employer last week, and this week was terminated. The employer says production reasons; I believe it was because I confronted him about the no travel pay.

Asked on July 17, 2014 under Employment Labor Law, Oregon


Stephan Math / Stephan Math, Law Offices of

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Your protest could be interpreted as a refusal on your part to work without being paid..this is perfectly within your right inasmuch as all employers are required to pay at least minimum wage for all hours worked therefore your refusal to comply could also be viewed as a refusal to comply with an unlawful directive which would at least under California law be viewed as legally protected activity and therefore your termination mat be considered to be unlawful..subject to your ability to prove that you had made such a complaint

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.