What to do if I worked for a company which paid for a training course while I was employed.and I just received a letter demanding repayment in 15 days?

There was a mistake in the finance department, who paid for the course twice. As a result I was refunded $2,000 from the training provider, who did not tell me what the refund was for; I have since left the company. Do I owe the $2,000? The repayment is not the issue, I am upset I was not contacted professionally and wondering if there any thing I can do on my end besides pay?

Asked on July 24, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Minnesota


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You were given money to which you were not entitled and to which you have no right; you must return it to the company which had paid for it, and if you do not, you may be sued.

There is no requirement that a company act or contact you "professionally," and no recourse for the fact that they did not. They are legally entitled to do what they did; therefore, there is nothing you can do about it, unfortunately.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.