I worked as a substitute teacher for six days..and I still haven’t received my compensation

I have contacted the school three
times.I have gotten a response yet.

Asked on September 10, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Alabama


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

If they have failed to pay you and a pay period has come and gone (and they will not even commit to when they will pay you), you can contact your state department of labor, which may be able to help you. (The dept. of labor enforces wage and hour laws.) However, your state does not appear to mandate payment by a certain date, so it is not clear the department can help (i.e. there may not be a specific payroll law violation from late payment for them to take action against); it is still worth contacting them first, since if they can do anything, their help is free.
If they can't or won't help you, your recourse is to sue the employer for the money. You would sue based on "breach of contract": that is, violation of the agreement, even if an oral or unwritten one, pursuant to which you agreed to work in exchange for pay. If you did you part--you worked--they are then contractually obligated to do their part and pay you. Suing in small claims court, as your own attorney ("pro se") is a good, fast, cost-effective option.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.