If I worked as a contractor on 1099 for 6 months until last month and have my last 2 months salary due me, what should I do?

My company is not paying me and not responding my phone/email.

Asked on July 19, 2015 under Employment Labor Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Your recourse is to sue them for the money they owe you. You would sue them for breach of contract: as an independent contractor, there was an agreement, whether written or oral/verbal, between you and them that you would do or perform certain work and they would pay you; if you did the work but were not paid for all of it, they are in breach of their contractual obligations and you could sue them to recover the money they owe you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.