If I am salaried and have to be on call but I’m not paid, is this legal?

We are supposed to pick up or respond in less than half an hour.

Asked on July 18, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Nevada


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Yes, that is perfectly legal. If you are paid a salary, the salary is your only compensation for all the work you do--you do not receive extra compensation for being on-call or having to respond.

That is the general rule. There is an exception--not all salaried staff are exempt from overtime. To be exempt from overtime, you must be paid a salary AND also meet one or more of the "tests" for exemption. These tests are based on job duties and authority. You can find them at the U.S. Department of Labor website. The main ones to review are the executive (e.g. managerial), administrative, computer protessional, and learned professional exemptions. If you meet the criteria for one or more tests, you are not owed additional compensation.

However, if you do not pass one of these tests, then if you work (not merely being on call, but time spent responding, as well as your regular work hours) exceeds 40 hours per week, you are owed additional compensation for hours worked past 40.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.