If I work for the department of corrections, can I be compensated if I was terminated while on medical leave due to things that happened to me while on the job ?

Because of some things that happened to me and stuff I had to see, I had some medical and mental problems. I was placed on leave by a doctor and soon after I was sent a Letter of Separation saying I had “voluntarily resigned”. When I brought to there attention that a mistake was made they admitted the mistake but said that it was “out of there hands” because ” the paperwork has already been done and sent in”. Naturally this has put a great strain on me and my family and made my medical condition, again a condition that was caused by working there, to become even worse.

Asked on October 18, 2011 under Employment Labor Law, Georgia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

You should speak with an employment attorney about your situation. If you were injured or otherwise suffered some medical condition on the job or due to work, you may have grounds for reinstatement and/or compensation (including worker's compensation). Or if your condition rises to the level of a disability, you may not be discriminated against in employment. Or if you specifically used Family and Medical Leave Act leave, you may not suffer retaliation for so doing.

However, if you were not injured on the job or by work, are not disabled under the law, and did not use FMLA leave, it may well be that your taking leave from work constituted voluntary resignation--apart from the examples given above, the law does not require employers to allow employees to take time off from work because they have a doctor's note. A doctor's note or doctor's recommendatio, without more, does not have legal effect. (Though you also need to review any rights you might have under any contracts or union agreements covering your job.)

Therefore, you may be entitled to reinstatement and/or compensation, or you might not be; it depends on the circumstances. You need to review those circumstances with an employment lawyer. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.