If I need to move to the day shift , does my employer have to cooperate if I provide documentation?

I work for a shipyard that has put me on night shift. I have been on this shift for over 1 month (I have worked for this company for 110 days so far) and my wife has recently been diagnosed with bipolar disorder and anxiety (she works days and has filed and been approved for FMLA to get to her appointments).

Asked on January 28, 2013 under Employment Labor Law, Alabama


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

No, your employer does not have to cooperate. If you and your employer are both eligible for FMLA in this situation, and the situation warrants FMLA leave, you may take FMLA leave; but the employer  is not otherwise required to reschedule you or change your shift. Furthermore, if you miss  work without authorization or approval, and without using FMLA leave or PTO that you've earned, you  may be terminated for it.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.