I work for a petroleum pipeline.Question is about not following the job

In January 2008. I was awarded a new position at my company. At that time I was given a acceptance letter for the position which stated salary , work schedule ,and that a truck would be assigned to mefor work and limited personal use.This past week our dept was notified that trucks would be pooled and we would have to drive to station in our on vehicles. Since I was led to believe this was a perk of the job and took this into consideration when negotioting my salary, am I entitled to compensation to make up for not having use of truck as I was told in job interview?

Asked on May 28, 2009 under Employment Labor Law, Pennsylvania


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Maybe.  You need to take that letter to an employment and labor attorney in your area, and discuss all the facts, to get a reliable opinion about your rights here.  One place you can find a qualified lawyer is our website, http://attorneypages.com

The letter just might qualify as a contract of employment.  However, if there is nothing in the letter or in any employee handbook that sets up a process for termination, you might still be an employee "at will", which could mean that if you complain about this, you could be fired for "no reason" and not be able to do anything.  Don't do or say anthing until you've talked to that lawyer!

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.