What are my rights if I accepted a transfer based on an increase in salary that has not gone through?

I work for a non-profit organization. I went through the proper channels to transfer from county to county through the agency. After interviewing in the new county I was verbally offered the position at the same salary. After being verbally offered and verbally accepting this position, I notified my supervisor of my transfer by giving a 2 week notice. Then 2 1/2 weeks after accepting the position in the new county and one day before up rooting my life and moving to the new county, I was contacted by HR for the agency and they indicated that my salary was not approved and that I will have to suffer a decrease. I explained to the HR associates that I have adjusted my life to my current salary and financially I cannot afford to suffer a decrease.

Asked on March 24, 2014 under Employment Labor Law, Florida


Anne Brady / Law Office of Anne Brady

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

If you can stay where you are, with your existing job and salary, obviously that would be the way to go.  If you can not, and you move to the job with the lower salary because it is the only one available to you, you may have a claim against your employer based on the legal theory of promissory estoppel.  This is where you rely on someone's promise to your detriment.  However, you probably do not want to be suing your employer.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.