If I work for a moving company as an on-call, occasional employee and had a car accident, is my employer legally responsible in any way?

While on the job and driving a truck rented by the owner of the moving company, I scraped a parked car causing minor/moderate damage. I immediately contacted my boss, the owner of the moving company to report it to him and inquire as to the proper procedure for handling the situation. After relating to him the facts, he directed me to either leave the scene or leave my own information (not his company’s information). I left my name and telephone number in a note on the damaged vehicle. I have since been contacted by the owner of this vehicle and I am not sure how to proceed.

Asked on November 12, 2013 under Employment Labor Law, Massachusetts


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Your employer is liable for the accident because an employer is liable for the negligence of an employee which occurs during the course and scope of employment.

Your employer should contact his moving company's insurance carrier and that insurance carrier will handle the matter with the party whose parked car was damaged.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.