What to do if I work for a large company that has a union and in the contract it states we will receive cost of living wages which we have but 1 and the company is refusing to pay?

Can they violate the contract?

Asked on October 14, 2015 under Employment Labor Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

No, they may not violate the contract, though if there is a "loophole," exception, or unfulfilled condition necessary for payment in the contract, the company may take advantage of it. However if by the plain terms of the conract, you should have been paid, you should have been paid. If you have a union, the union should be acting e.g. suing, if necessary to enforce the contract speak to your union and ask for help. If the union will not help for some reason, you may be able to bring your own legal action to enforce the terms of the contract speak with an employment law attorney about this, bringing with you a copy of the contract. Contracts bind the parties to them each side including the company has to perform as required by the contract.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.