If I work for a landscaping company, what type of contract do I need to draw up for past/future customers to visually document and display their property on the internet?

We just started a Facebook page and I have been commissioned to upload pictures of the work we have done, as well as the work we will do in the future.How do we establish ownership of the digital property in the contract so that we may display it on our business Facebook page so that the public may view it?

Asked on February 12, 2015 under Business Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

The contract can be very simple: it can simply state that the customer gives you permission to display pictures of the work you have done on their property on your website and otherwise use it for advertising purposes. For a contract to be binding, however, there must be "consideration," or something that each party receives; you are receiving the right to use the pictures, so the customer must get something, too. One possibility is to give them some small discount or some additional service as compensation for allowing you to use the pictures. The contract should state what they are getting.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.