What are my options if I work for a company through an employment agency located on the company grounds and I’m supposed to get paid every week but it’s going on 2 weeks since my last check?

The agency keeps giving me the runaround.

Asked on September 15, 2015 under Employment Labor Law, North Carolina


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

1 Contact your state labor department they may be able to help you.
2 Alternately, you could sue the agency and employer in small claims court, acting as your own attorney "pro se" to save on legal fees. You'd sue for all wages unpaid as if the date of the trial you start by listing those unpaid as of when you file the suit, but in court may seek all unpaid as of trial. You can usually get into small claims court in several weeks.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.