If I work at a group home for at risk youth and my car was damaged by a resident, who is liable for the cost of my repairs?

While at work a resident threw a brick through my vehicle that was parked in the driveway. I was not scheduled to work that day but due to lack of coverage, I came in at my supervisor’s request. The resident has since been removed (as he was placed there by DHR). I was unable to drive my car for 5 days. I gave the company everything they asked for – estimates for repair and a police report. However, no one ever got back with me and I ended up paying out of pocket for the damages. Once the auto repair shop started repairs, they also saw that the brick did additional damage to the passenger door panel, for which I was quoted an additional $1,105. Who is liable? It has been 2 months now.

Asked on November 7, 2014 under Accident Law, Georgia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

The parents or legal guardians of the youth may be liable, since parents or legal guardians of minors are generally liable for their children's tortious acts. In addition, if the youth was able to do the damage because he was being inadequately supervised, that failure of supervision may make the group home liable. Of course, if none of the parents, legal guardians, or group home chooses to pay voluntarily, you'd have to sue to try to recover money, which has its own costs, both monetary and otherwise (e.g. there are consequences to suing your employer).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.