Must restroom facilities be provided to an employee/independent contractor?

I work as a security guard as a contractor to an employer. The building has bathrooms. But when I go outside for 12 hours – I have no bathroom. I was told by my boss to go to the bathroom in the woods. Is this legal?

Asked on September 6, 2010 under Employment Labor Law, Virginia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Two different issues.

Can a business refuse to allow independent contractors--or, for that matter, employees--to use restrooms? Yes. It may be a stupid policy, but it's legal, especially if what they're  doing is preventing people for work for the business as a whole from going and using restrooms which are in the premises of specific tenants; or preventing people from using bathrooms in secure areas; or not opening up a building which is supposed to locked overnight or on the weekend to outside workers; etc.

Is it legal to go to the bathroom in the woods? It depends on who owns that land, what the neighbors are and how close they are, local ordinances, etc. It could easily be that no, in this case, going to the bathroom in the woods is illegal (e.g. exposing oneself in public). It may be the case that the employer needs  to provide bathroom facilities (e.g. port-a-potties) or else allow staff to go off premises periodically (e.g. one bathroom break every 2 - 3 hours) to use facilites at rest stops or fast food restaurants.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.