What are my rights if I am facing demotion due to a job accommodation?

I work as a sales floor associate at a major discount chain store and recently filled out accommodation papers that would allow me to sit down at the operator desk if I needed to. My position is sales floor associate but I am required to give breaks and lunches when I am asked. However, from time to time, management schedules me as the operator for weeks at a time. Now, due to the fact that I filled out accommodation papers to sit when needed I am not disabled they are trying to take my sales floor job away from me. I am on my feet for 8 – 0 hours a day. I need my job and cannot afford to be demoted which they are trying to do.

Asked on September 25, 2015 under Employment Labor Law, South Carolina


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You write that you are "not disabled." If you are not disabled, you have no right to an accommodation employers have no obligation to grant it, and can hold your request for it against you. Furthermore, if you do not have a written employment contract, you are an "employee at will" and may be terminated, suspended, demoted, pay cut, job or duties changed, transferred, etc. at will. d on what you write, if a non-disabled employee has asked for an accommodation to his/her job, the employer may demote him or her.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.