If I work as a machinist and hydraulics expert and had a seizure this morning, is there something that I can do to protect my job?

They knew I had this disorder when I got hired on. Now my supervisor won’t let me come back to work without a medical release from my doctor and he said I will still get written up for missing a day since I am out of personal or sick days.

Asked on November 7, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Kentucky


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Unfortunately, there probably is nothing you can do. While an employer may not discriminate against an employee due to a disability or medical condition, that merely means they have to make "reasonable accomodations"--or accomodations in how the job is done that are not too expensive, too disruptive, or expose the employer to too much risk of liability. However, the employee must be able to safely due the job. If the employee cannot do the job safely the employer could terminate him or her. A machinest who has seizures puts himself and others at risk; it is not reasonable for an employer to have to take that risk; therefore the employer could refuse to allow you to work unless you can show medical clearance.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.