If someone came to the US via a fiancé visa but never ended up getting married, how can they now get their papers if they have overstayed their visa?

I work in law enforcement. I have a girlfriend and I want her to have her documents. She’s overstayed about a year now. I want to help to get her papers. She got here in the US by a fiancé visa with someone else (ex-boyfriend, a US Marine) but they didn’t get married. What am I supposed to do to help her so that she doesn’t need to get back home to start over again? I don’t want her to go home.

Asked on October 2, 2014 under Immigration Law, California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Here is the thing: if you come to the US on a fiancé Visa you are expected to get married within 90 days.  If you do not and it expires you can get in to a lot of trouble because they are not renewable. The best way to help her is to seek help from an Immigration Attorney asap. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.