I won an accident lawsuit..my ex boyfriend said he is entitled to half because he took care of me after 2 surgeries..I want to give him compensation but not half

Can he sue me for half..no ids..no property

Asked on December 1, 2018 under Personal Injury, Louisiana


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

Unless your boyfriend was a party to the lawsuit, then he is not entitled to any of the settlement. Taking care of someone after an accident is comendable but not compensable, unless there exists an agreemment whereby he was to be paid for his helping you. Even if he had been your husband at the time of the accident, as a general rule he would not be entitled to any money. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.