If a defendant pays the debt at the courthouse after a levy has been served, does the plaintiff have to release the levy or does the judge/court do that?

I won a small claims case and recevid at judgement for money owed to me. I filed for a levy to be placed on the defendants bank account.

Asked on July 11, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Wyoming


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If there is a judgment issued in your favor against the defendant by the court and the judgment ends up being paid in full by the defendant, you are required under the law to sign, date and file with the court in the case that you have the judgment a document known as a "full satisfaction of judgment".

You are to also provide a copy of the filed "full satisfaction of judgment" to the former judgment debtor.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.