If I won a judgement but the defendant moved to another state, can I file a sister judgement myself?

I recently found his address. Can I file a sister judgement myself? How do I go about this as I can’t find any forms on the state website.

Asked on January 17, 2013 under Bankruptcy Law, Arizona


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Good question based upon what you have written, you can file a sister state judgment application in the state where the judgment debtor has moved to with respect to the judgment that you have.

The way to draft the application for the filing in the other state is to take a form that your state has approved, draft it for the county and state of the other state and submit the application and fee to the clerk of the other state with a proof of service on the judgment debtor.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.