CanI garnish a third-party payment if someone is self-employed?

I won a judgement against my former employer, an attorney, for unpaid wages. I was awarded a judgement in the amount of $2300, plus interest beginning on 07/04/08. However, I have received no money. The attorney that I used to work for practices under their name; they do not work for a firm or group. They heavily rely on state appointed cases and that is the mainstay of their income. Do I file a garnishment with the State Comptroller who issues payment for the attorney’s court appointed cases? The sued party’s employer usually garnishes but about in the case of self-employment?

Asked on December 22, 2010 under Bankruptcy Law, Alabama


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

I can certainly see the predicament that you are in in attempting to collect through garnishment.  Is there another form of collection that may be better for you?  Live levying on his personal property? Like a car?  Many times that can be done through the help of the Sheriff or Marshall's office in the county in which you live.  The Marshall will actually take the property and do what is necessary to allow you to fulfill the judgement.  I am not sure that the State Comptroller will honor the judgement but I bet that if you called up there and kept asking to speak with supervisor over supervisor you may get an idea of your ability to use that method of collection here.  A lien against a house or levying on a bank account works too.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.