What to do if I won a civil case and was awarded $2000 so I tried filing for a “writ of execution” but I can’t find the person?

I tried filing for a “writ of execution” but when the sheriff showed up at his residence, his parents said he didn’t live there anymore (which is a lie). What should I try next?

Asked on November 2, 2014 under Bankruptcy Law, Pennsylvania


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You need to locate him and, preferably, his assets, bank account(s), and/or job (so you have something to collect against or from). You may be able to do so via an internet search, or by networking with people who know him; otherwise, you're option would be to hire someone (an attorney who specializes in collections; a P.I.; etc.) who has expertise in locating persons for collections, but doing so could cost more than you recover. Sometimes a judgment is meaningless: there are people you will never collect from.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.