What to do if I won a case for small claims but it has been close to 6 months now and I am still waiting for payment from the defendant?

I have been stressing out about this for too long. Really need some legal advice on what to do next. Was thinking of paying for a sheriff to get access to the funds owed to me by law but I am not sure how reliable that is and, if it is guaranteed, that I will even get my money back from what the defendant owes me.

Asked on February 4, 2013 under Business Law, Texas


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

In order to receive payment from the defendant, you will need to enforce the judgment against the defendant by obtaining a wage garnishment.  Check with the Small Claims Court advisor regarding the documents you will need to file with the court to obtain a wage garnishment against the defendant.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.