Once I file for divorce, can my wife keep my name on the mortgage until she decides to sell the house or will she have to take action once the divorce is final?

I will soon be separated from my wife for almost a year. We were in the process of building a house when we separated in which she lives in. Per the separation agreement, which we both signed, once the divorce is final she has 1 year to do something with the house but she has informed me that she plans on living in the house until my youngest child is 18. I just want to have my name removed from the mortgage.

Asked on December 13, 2015 under Family Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You can't get off the mortgage unless not just your wife but the bank, too, agrees to take you off--and they won't: why would they, when letting you out of the mortgage hurts them, by reducing the number of people responsible to pay it? You need the divorce settlement to give her a firm date by which she *must* sell (and which also states that mortgage is paid first from the proceeds, before anyone else gets anything); then if she does not do that, you could sue to enforce the settlment and compel her to do so.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.