If I file for bankruptcy, do I also have to discharge my credit card accounts that are in good standing and have been for many years?

I will be sued by my divorce attorney because my ex who was ordered to pay attorneys fees filed bankruptcy. I have only fair credit, trying to recover from several post divorce issues including irregular support payments. I cannot pay the $250 a month that she is demanding.

Asked on July 28, 2014 under Bankruptcy Law, Arizona


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

If you file for bankruptcy, you can state your intention to reaffirm debts that you want to continue paying in the bankruptcy documents.  If your intention is to continue paying credit card debts, you can list those creditors whose debts you intend to reaffirm.

If your ex-wife has obtained a court judgment which orders you to pay $250 per month, you won't be able to discharge that in bankruptcy.  Instead of filing bankruptcy, you can file a modification of spousal support.  Changed circumstances such as a change in your financial situation would be grounds for seeking a modification of spousal support.

If the attorney sues you for the fees, you can discharge that debt by filing bankruptcy.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.