What to do if I went to the ER with a horrible headache and was sent away with only blood pressure medication but had a brain hemmorhage?

No tests were done. I returned to the ER 5 days later after my condition didn’t improve. The doctor this time ordered a CT scan and a spinal tap after just a few minutes. The CT scan showed I had a subarachnoid hemmorhage (bleeding in my brain) and I had to be life flighted to another hospital and placed in the ICU. I’m not sure if this could’ve been prevented but I feel the first doctor was negligent. I had 3 children at home, 1 being a newborn baby girl. Not only did I suffer major pain and suffering, I missed out on weeks with my new baby and could’ve died. This all started at the end of last month and ever since my sense of taste has been ruined.

Asked on September 25, 2012 under Malpractice Law, Pennsylvania


Catherine Blackburn / Blackburn Law Firm

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Finding out whether the first ER committed malpractice is not necessarily easy.  Medicine is not an exact science.  In addition, many states give special protection to ER's and ER physicians - Florida does - which makes it even harder to sue them. 

Even if the first ER committed malpractice, a lawsuit would be long and difficult and expensive.  Therefore, the vast majority of malpractice attorneys will not even consider a case unless the victim has suffered catastrophic or nearly catastrophic injuries.  If you became permanently paralyzed because of this, I would say definitely see a malpractice lawyer in your area.  It sounds, however, like you have done remarkably well.  That is very good news for you and your family.  It is not good news for a lawsuit.  Even if the first ER committed malpractice, you might well spend more money prosecuting the case than you would recover in the end.

Malpractice lawyers usually give free consultations.  I suggest you call some in your area and see what they say.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.