If you’re in an accident and are hurt, whose insurer pays the bills?

I went to the doctor to have some X-rays done after being in an ATV accident last week. The doctor sent me a paper asking about auto insurance, etc. I have no idea what information to provide them. The owner of the ATV is a third party that I do to personally know. The person driving was a friend of mine, and I was merely riding. What insurance would pay for my X-rays – health insurance, auto insurance? And whose? I don’t know who to go to with these questions.

Asked on November 9, 2012 under Accident Law, Ohio


Leigh Anne Timiney / Timiney Law Firm

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Generally, when you are in an accident, you use your health insurance first to pay for your medical care.  Hopefully there will be an auto insurance or homeowners insurance policy which covers the ATV.  You can then establish a personal injury claim with the insurance company who insures the ATV.  With a personal injury claim, you will be seeking compensation and reimbursement for your medical bills, lost wages (if you have any) and pain and suffering.  If you are confused or having difficulty determining if there is any insurance coverage to help you, I would suggest you contact a personal injury attorney in your area and seek a consultation.  

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.