If I went to court but they couldn’t find the police report, what can I do?

Asked on September 5, 2012 under Criminal Law, Michigan


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

When you go to court for a criminal matter, you do not look up the case by the police report. Rather, it is looked up by way of the defendant's name listed on the docket sheet posted outside a given court room for calendar call.

I suggest that you go down to the clerk's office and pull your file and review it. There you will find the criminal case number and the presumed police report within. From there you will be able to ascertain what upcoming court hearing dates are associated with your matter.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.