If I went to get a new car but didn’t qualify so my mom had it leased in her name, what can we do to have the car transfered to me should anything happen to her?

Asked on October 23, 2014 under Estate Planning, California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You are doing a little planning ahead and that is good.  The leasing is a contract and you should read it carefully. I am going to assume that your Mom can not assign the lease to you but you may be able to continue the payments until the lease end.  What is really important to think about is the insurance on the car. You need to be listed as a driver on the policy because should she pass you can not insure a car that is not in your name but you can continue to renew a policy that lists you and the car. If the language of the lease  is too confusing  - and it often is - ask an attorney for an interpretation.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.