What to do if I went in to have a robotic hysterectomy and after became very ill and found out that the doctor perforated my bowel while doing the surgery?

He told me that everything looked fine. I had to have an emergency surgery by another surgeon to go in and fix the injured part of the bowel and the infection that the perforation caused. I now have to where a colostomy bag and am missing more time from work. In 4 months, I may be able to have another surgery to try and reconnect the bowel to see if we can re-establish normal bowel function and get rid of the bag. I think that the original surgeon that did the hysterectomy should have realized that they perforated my bowel.

Asked on January 6, 2013 under Malpractice Law, Maryland


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

What you describe sounds like medical malpractice.  If you want to pursue a medical malpractice claim, then you should visit with a personal injury attorney that has experience in handling medical issues.  Unlike a pure "car wreck" personal injury attorney, a medical malpractice attorney (also called a med mal attorney), will have access and experience with more medical experts to help establish the components of your claim--- like the duty of care that you were due and the level of negligence demonstrated by your first doctor. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.