If I was convicted of grand larceny 38 years ago and did my probation with no other crimes since then, can I have that conviction vacated off my record?

I got 5 years probation.

Asked on February 18, 2015 under Criminal Law, Washington


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

It all depends on the state in which this occurred. In some states a grand larceny conviction can be "expunged" (i.e. cleared) or at least sealed. What you can do to start is to google the name of the state in which this occurred and the word "expungement". You can then find a website set up by the state which will explain who is eligible for an expungement and the steps for obtaining one. If you are sconfused about any of this or if you feel that you would like an attorney to handle it for you, you can consult widirectly with a criminal law attorney.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.