What to do about an H1B visa and a job change?

I was working on L1A from Company A and since my H1B (with change of my status) was approved just over month ago. I did move to Company B. I have new offer with Company C and Can I transfer my H1B to Company C with out pay stubs from Company B? Do I need to travel back to my home country for H1B transfer to be successful?

Asked on February 25, 2013 under Immigration Law, New York


SB, Member, California / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

You need to have at least one paycheck stub from employer B to transfer your H-1B to employer C, as that would show that you are in valid H-1B status with H-1B which would make you eligible for the transfer.  Without the paycheck stub, you are not able to prove that you are in H-1B status and, therefore, cannot transfer the status.  There is no need to travel anywhere if your H-1B was approved as a change of status with a new I-94.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.