If I was working for a company but took leave and did not come back for personal issues, what can I do in order to receive my final paycheck?

A month later, I called back asking for my check but 10 months past and they’re still avoiding to pay me.

Asked on November 17, 2015 under Employment Labor Law, Virginia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You can sue them for the money: that is the only way to get money that someone owes you--as you are owed your final paycheck--but which they won't pay you. You can sue them in small claims court, acting as your own attorney  ("pro se") to save on legal fees/expenses. If the company is an LLC or  corporation, sue the company; otherwise, sue the owner(s) personally.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.