What can I do about a wrongful discharge from my cleaning job?

First, I was fired through a text message and second, they changed my pay without any prior notice. I found out when my paycheck was short. They claim I am not doing my job but I have taken pictures from before and after cleaning the banks and they never tell me of any complaints. They gave me improper training in the beginning and I received a major complaint and they went and checked and said that the branch looked amazing and that I was doing my job right.

Asked on December 2, 2011 under Employment Labor Law, Virginia


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

First of all, does any of this violate company policy or a term of an employment contract or union agreement. Was there any form of actionable discrimination involved. If not, then the fact is that there is no legal requirement that an employee to receive a termination notice in person, by US mail, etc Therefore, a text informing an employee of their discharge is perfectly permissible (and an employer can fire an employee for any reason or no reason at all, with or without notice). Further, an "at will" employer can set the terms and conditions of the workplace as it deems fit. This includes a decrease in an employee's wages.

Note: Wages cannot be changed after the fact. In other words, the can;t be changed after the work has already been performed. But they can be changed, without notice, for future work performed going forward.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.