If I was terminated, when should I have received my last paycheck?

I was terminated on the 7th from a store. On the day of termination, they paid me for that week Sunday – Thursday and told me I will be getting my vacation pay later. On the 10th, I emailed and asked when it will come and I was told it should be arriving in the next scheduled direct deposit. My latest paycheck shows 200 vacation hours and 32 PTO hours. Should I have received that pay on the day of termination or will this upcoming direct deposit be considered my last paycheck? Is there a next step to take or is this usual?

Asked on June 12, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Massachusetts


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

When terminated in your state, your final paycheck is due on the next regularly scheduled payday.

Unlike most states, it appears that your state does require employers to pay out accrued but unused vacation time on termination of employment; therefore, you may be due compensation for those hours. If not paid, you could sue your employer for the money, including possibly in small claims court, where you could act as your own attorney.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.