i was willed my grandmothers house

my uncle was named to be the over see.but he want do any thing and i dont have the money to have it probate.how do i get it in my name i cant even get the lights on.

Asked on May 25, 2009 under Estate Planning, Florida


L.M., Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If there is a will, it must go through probate.  You say your uncle is the "over seer" but is he the personal administrator or executor of the will?  Whoever is must open a case with the probate court.  Then, if the house was willed to you, the legal papers will be filed to change the ownership. You will likely need an attorney to help you with this, or you can try a legal documents service.  Google legal documents service in your state for assistance.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.