If I was walking along the side of the road on an island and was stuck in the arm by a SUV from behind and knocked into the ditch by a driver who left the scene, what legal action can I take?

The driver never stopped. We called 9/11 and located the SUV before it could get off the island without the occupants, found next to a bar. I want to take legal action take against the driver. I have bruising along with a sore neck. All injuries were noted by EMTS. Im going to the doctors tomorrow

Asked on September 7, 2015 under Personal Injury, Ohio


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You can sue the driver for your injuries, and if you don't know his/her identity at present, you can initially sue "John Doe 1," then add in the name later, when you have it. You do have to sue someone identifiable initially if you know or can determine who owned the SUV and if the SUV was found, this is information you should be able to determine e.g. from the license plate, you can sue that person, since the owner of a vehicle is liable for the actions of those persons whom he/she allows to drive it. You can and should also name any other occupants of the SUV--let them prove they were  not liable or responsible for the accident and, in meantime, you may get the driver's name and contact information from them.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.