What to do if I was told yesterday that I have 30 days to move out of the apartment I have been living in for the past 2 and a half years?

Rent is up to date. This was all done through someone who I have never seen before or have I ever had any dealings with; she is my landlord’s mother. First warning was only a verbal warning and then about an hour later she came back and gave me a piece of paper stating why and how long I had to leave and her son signed it and it was witnessed by his sister. It also stated that I still owe for this month and that I am responsible for any damages, I don’t think I should be responsible for any damages because I have ask him several times to fix things and to replace carpets but he has done nothing

Asked on August 14, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Pennsylvania


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If you have time left on your lease and have not breached the agreement in any way, then the thirty (30) day notice of termination may be ineffective. However, if you are now on a month-to-month lease for your unit despite living there for over two years, the notice that you received is valid.

I suggest that you consult further with a landlord tenant attorney as to what your legal recourse is given the situation that you are now in.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.