What can I do if I filed a drug screening and got fired because I didn’t know that I took prescribed narcotics for a slip an fall at work?

Asked on June 8, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If you were terminated from work due to failing to pass the drug screening due to traces of a controlled substance found in your system as a result of a medical condition where your treating physician prescribed such for you, I would have your treating physician write a letter on your behalf to your former emplyer explaining that you were under medical clearance and approval to take the substance that ended up getting you terminated.

Possibly, you might have a chance to get your old job back.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.