If I was ticketed for driving on a restricted license, what can I expect when going to court?

I received a DUI last year and am currently on probation. At this time I have a restricted license. I was driving back from a concert with my wife and she was too tired to drive so I said I would. I was pulled over for 80 in a 70. Long story short, I blew a .084 and my wife a .024. The legal limit is .08, but the officer let my wife drive and just gave me a ticket for speeding and driving on a restricted license. What can I expect when going to court and should I call my attorney to ensure I receive the best results? Should I be overly worried about jail time?

Asked on July 15, 2012 under Criminal Law, Michigan


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

From what you have written about, you have violated the terms of your probation. To see what recourse you could possibly receive for such violation you should look to see what the suspended sentence that you received states from your prior conviction in the event of a probation violation.

Custom and practice is that such would ordinarily be stated in your sentence from your prior conviction.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.