I was terminated through text message from my job here in Florida is that against the law?

My boss sent me a text saying I was
terminated for ni Cal no show to a
post.I have never received any warnings
no verbal or written yet I was was
terminated through text.

Asked on May 8, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

If you have a written contract requiring you to get warnings, or stating you must be fired in some particular way (not including text messages), then this was a breach of contract, and you could potentially sue your employer for violating the conrtact. But if there is no written employment contract, you are an "employee at will," and an employee at will may be terminated at any time, for any reason, without prior warnings, and may be notified of the termination in any way--text message, email, letter, voice mail, in person, etc., it's all the same legally. So without a contract, this was legal.

M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

In an "at will" employment arrangement, a company can terminate an employee by any means it deems appropriate; this includes a text. The fact is that most employers can set the conditions of the workplace much as they sees fit. That is unless an employer's action violates company policy or the terms of an employment contract or union agreement. Also, an employee's treatment must not constitute some form of legally actionable discrimination.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.