I was terminated for misconduct but had never been written up before

I worked for a small company. The owner fired me for posting that I worked for a
small company with the number of employees. The feed was not public, but private,
and I never mentioned the company, nor the owner, nor any of the employees and I
had never put the place of business in my profile. The owner claims misconduct,
but I had never been written up, nor received any prior notification from him
that I needed to change any behavior. Nothing was documented as the company has
no HR department, no on-boarding for new employees and no exit for employees
leaving. I live in the state of Alabama which is a right to work state, but is
there any recourse available to me for compensation or legal action?

Asked on May 14, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Alabama


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

In "at will" employment, a worker can be terminated for any reason or no reason at all, with or without notice. Further, an employer can set the conditions of the workplace much as it sees fit; this includes what an employee posts about the company online.
The above holds true unless this action violates company policy or the terms of an employment contract or union agreement. Also, this treatment must not constitute any form of legally actionable discrimination.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.