If my employer failed to provide me with a check stub for my final check, is this legal?

I was terminated and my employer kept my final check for “training”.

Asked on December 28, 2010 under Employment Labor Law, Illinois


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

This would be legal only IF there was some agreement between you and the employer (e.g made in an offer letter or some other correspondence; on an employment application; in an employment agreement or contact) stating that in the event an attorney leaves employment under the circumstances involved in your employment ending, that they employer may keep or withold a paycheck to pay for the employee's training. If agreed to, then, like most such agreements affecting terms and conditions of work, it is enforceable. However, if not agreed to, then no--in those situations (the vast majority of the time) an employer may not simply decide to withhold part of the employee's compensation.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.