What to do if I was taken into custody but was not read my rights?

I was handcuffed, placed in the car, taken to police station and detained. My personnel property was tampered with and I was given a citation for obstruction of justice while an officer was giving someone else a ticket. The DA’s office dismissed the case due to lack of evidence. I lost my job because of this incident and would like some legal advice on how to proceed with suing the city.

Asked on September 24, 2012 under Criminal Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

I suggest that you consult with a personal injury attorney who practices in the area of lawsuits with respect to governmental entities. From what you have written about you may have been arrested improperly and as a result, you may have an action against the arresting officer as well as the police department for which he or she works for.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.